How to get in Matala
It is very easy to come to Crete and explore it. Crete offers excellent air connections with the rest of the world and it is also possible to reach Crete by ship. Travelling within Crete is also easy.
There are bus routes that cover the whole island and Matala of course, while the car is even more convenient, thanks to the existing road network, which allows the visitor to reach every place easily and fast. Matala is 71 km south of Heraklion, located in a very pretty and picturesque spot in the Bay of Messara. The road to Matala is extremely good, with a tarmac surface and decent signposting. You are, after all, heading to one of the major tourist resorts of Crete.
From Iraklion to Matala
- Motorway to "Iraklion (Heraklion) - Rethimnon - Chania".
- After 10 km turn right to "Mires - Phaestos (Festos)-Timbaki".
- In a round you now under ride the motorway and turn right to freeway 97 to "Mires - Timbaki".
- Continue on this freeway for about 45 minutes.
- This freeway is well completed at the beginning but gets more picturesque the more you drive.
- Drive through mountains and valleys, the villages Sivas, Agia Varvara, Agioi Deka and the town Mires.
- From here you are 10 km away from the exit to Phaistos, Matala, Pitsidia at you left hand side. (Alternatively you can drive through Mires – Petrokefali – Pitsidia.)
- Take this exit and follow the street over the hill, passing the cultural sight Phaistos (Festos).
- Drive downhill through Agios Ioannis and Pitsidia to Matala.
- From Chania, drive to Rethymno and then take the road to Spili. Continue past Spili to Agia Galini and Tymbaki. After Tymbaki, go on to Phaistos and Matala.
- From Rethymno to Matala is about an hour’s drive, while from Chania you will need another 45 minutes, i.e. almost two hours to get to Matala.
Aegean Airlines, Olympic Air, Cyprus Airways, Sky Express, JetairFly, TUIfly, Τransavia, Condor, Easyjet, Ryanair, Air Berlin and many more!
Aegean Airlines Tel: 801 11 20000 / Int. Tel: +30 210 6261000
Olympic Air Tel: 8018010101 / Int. Tel: +302103550500
Sky Express Tel: 801 11 28 28 88 / Int. Tel: (0030) 2810 223800
Fax: (0030) 2810 - 223711
Minoan Air S.A. Tel: (+30) 2810 333 183 / Tel: (+30) 2810 333 182
Minoan Lines(Tel: +30 2810 399800 / Fax: +30 2810 330308)
25th Avgoustou Str., 17, P.C 71202 Heraklion Crete
Blue Star Ferries
Sigrou Avenue 123-125 & Torva 3 P.C 11745, Athens
Tel: 210-8919800 / Fax: 210-8919829
bluestarferries.gr / superfast.com
Sof. Venizelou Square
Souda Ticket Office, Tel: (+30)2821080050, (+30)2821080051
Anen Lines (Tel: +30 2821020345)
Itineraries: Kissamos from/to Peloponnisos
Chania Office (Tel: +30 28210 95511 & +30 28210 95530 / Fax: +30 28210 95512)
Itineraries: to south beaches from regional unit of Chania: Sfakia, Loutro, Gavdos, Sougia, Agia Roumeli, Sougia, Palaioxora
By your boat to the South
Contact the local districts and marinas of Crete for details:
Port Authorities - Port Station
Kaloi Limenes (Tel: (+30)2892042188)
Heraklio Central (Tel: (+30)2810-244912, (+30)2810244956)
Agia Galini (Tel: 2831091206)
Heraklion - Heraklion Port Authority SA (Tel: 2810-338110 / Fax: 2810-226110)
Tel: (+30)2810 255965
Tel: (+30)28410 22234
Tel: (+30)28420 28237
Tel: (+30)28430 22272
From market square and 1866 square for all districts of the city and surrounding areas, Akrotiri, Souda (port), beaches etc.
Tel: (+30)2821093345, (+30)2821098115
Storage Tel: (+30)2821097497
Publisher Tel: (+30)2821093306
Office Tel: (+30)2831022785
Information Tel: (+30)2831022212
Storage Tel: (+30)2831022659
- Androulidakis Nikos (Tel: +30 6974818272 | Website)
- Giannakakis George (Tel: +30 6973277040) | Website)
- Dandoulakis George (Tel: +30 6948108889 | Website)
- Damianakis Michalis (Tel: +30 6948108889 | Website)
- Tsafantakis Charalambos (Tel: +30 6944772688 | Website)
- Karampakakis Antonis (Tel: +30 6971929250 | Website)